I was on Depo shot for two years after deciding to get pregnant. Depo Provera is a birth control injection given every 3 months that contains the hormone, progestin. It is a very effective form of contraception and there is no need to worry about missing the next shot because you can just take it within the week of your due date.
Why I preferred the shot?
It is convenient for me because I don’t want to take birth control pills every day.
Side effects I had during the Depo course:
- Amenorrhea or absence of menstruation
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
- Mild lower abdominal pain
- It is cost-effective
- You don’t need to worry about missing the shot every day
- You get the shot every 12 weeks
- Bye-bye monthly period. You don’t need to buy dozens of sanitary napkins and tampons every month
- It would take about 6 to 18 months to get pregnant after stopping the prick
- If you are not working in the medical field, you may need to go to the clinic or hospital to get your next shot
- You may experience some of the side effects